There are several types of dental filling. One is made of silver amalgam. It's useful in situations where restored teeth must withstand extreme forces.
Another type is a composite resin restoration. These are used where a more natural appearance is important.
What’s right for me?
Several factors influence the performance, durability, longevity, and expense of dental restorations, including:
- The components used in the filling material
- The amount of tooth structure remaining
- Where and how the filling is placed
- The chewing load that the tooth will have to bear
- The length and number of visits needed to prepare and adjust the restored tooth
Before your treatment begins, your doctor will discuss with you all of your options and help you choose the best filling for your particular case.